Thursday, May 11, 2006

#44 - The Confederate Flag and Mother's Day

I just sat down at this computer about 30 minutes ago.

While opening a ton of fun e-mail with loads of warm fuzzy Mother's Day messages, I noticed strong deisel fumes rolling in through the open windows.

Our next door neighbor is having MAJOR construction work done on their home. And we have been vert supportive about that. Actually, because of the location of the work needing to be done... we have let the construction crew park and work in our driveway. Our homes are very close together, and it was easier for the crew to get their work done via access from our property.

I don't mind. Actually, I have enjoyed chatting from time to time with the main construction worker.

Yesterday he told me they are doing the finishing work which means the jack hammers, construction trucks and equipment.

"No problem," I told him.

And, thus, the diesel fumes wafting through the Cozy Cottage today.

So I go to shut the windows and as I look out to our driveway there is a pick up truck there.

A pickup truck with a CONFEDERATE FLAG prominently on display on the bumper.

Why do people do that?

Especially here... in New York State.

Whatever meaning that holds for those who feel the urge to display that flag... here's what it means to me... the mother of a biracial family.

RACISM.

Pure and simple.

That's the message that flag conveys, whether or not that was the intention.

The confederate flag is a symbol to many Americans of slavery. The confederate flag was used by the Ku Klux Klan. The confederate flag is embraced by the Aryan nation, Skinheads, and the American Nazi party.

I mean... need I say more?

I was upset when I saw that bumper sticker sitting in my driveway, so I went out there to find out what's up with that.

Unfortunately, the owner of the bumper sticker had quickly pulled out of my driveway . I asked the workers about that bumper sticker.

I don't do small talk.

I cut to the chase.

"The fella who owns that pick-up truck has a confederate flag sticker on his bumper. Is he a racist?"

The guys looked surprised.

They had not noticed the sticker. I guess you don't notice those things unless you have a good reason too. But, they were surprised. I hadn't expected that.

"No... he's no racist. He has a biracial son. Half Black... heh,heh,heh."

Of course, one of the guys had to put up the front... "and the South shall rise again."

I ignored that comment. I mean what are you supposed to say to something like that?

But, I was surprised too.

Why would you go about displaying the confederate flag when you love and cherish someone who is not 100% Caucasian?

Why indeed?

Symbols are incredibly powerful.

Symbols hold cultural information that often can not be expressed simply with words.

Think on these symbols:

Cross

Swastika

We know what these forms mean instinctively, even before our mind forms words.

But, the symbols hold different meaning depending on the beholder.

The cross can mean the symbol of Christ, or the ancient symbol of the tree of life, or something altogether different for people who feel persecuted by Christians.

The swastika makes many of us cringe, but that symbol is a bastardization of an ancient symbol used by Buddhism and the indigenous people of America.

So what to do?

Stop displaying a cross in order to not cause offense to those who have been harmed by those claiming to follow Jesus?

Wipe away the swastikas in Native American and Buddhist art the way the early Christians defaced the ancient sculptures of Rome?

Scrape that darn Confederate flag off of your bumper?

Here's a thought... CONTEXT.

A confederate flag flapping on the flagpole of a small community in upstate New York is really not appropriate. (Yes, we have a neighbor down the street who has that flag on his flagpole.)

We have a huge problem right now with an Aryan group trying to hone in on our nearby communities.

Seriously, they have been leaving flyers in shopping parking lots. They developed a compound on the Pennsylvania border not too far from where we live.

They like the confederate flag.

That flag in that neighbor's front yard just feels like an open invitation saying "Aryan guys are welcome here."

I can not describe how I am feeling this morning about the pick-up truck bumper sticker, but I do know that my thoughts of Mother's Day evaporated with the site of that vehicle.

My strong mother inner self jumped right into gear and I walked out and confronted that symbol of racism that had entered onto my property.

My message?

That symbol is not welcome here.

No.

So thoughts of Mother's Day drifted away as I acted like a protective Mom.

I am shaken.

I am sad.

Not angry, just confused by what the workers shared with me.

Were they serious or were they quick with a joke?

I just don't know.

I just don't know.

Read more about the confederate flag and racism here:

Community Action Against Racism - Confederate Flag is a Racist Symbol









1 comment:

TFLS said...

I agree. It is racist. I live in Georgia - and everywhere I look I see the stars and bars. I hate it. It makes me uncomfortable - and I'm Irish! In the beginning I would say something - point out that how wrong it was. That did absolutely no good whatsoever. Nothing does, down here. But I wish people would see it for what it is - racism. Unfortunately - racism seems to be tolerated in America these days; and that just about breaks my heart.